Web hosting

Friday, August 30, 2013

'Firehol' Updates

Recently, I've been working on various software projects. One of them has involved integrating 'firehol' (a firewall management system) into a larger project of mine (more details later). Even though it is clear that the project was fairly mature it hasn't really been kept up to date of late. One of the main problems in my situation was the automated building of 'RPM' and 'DEB' packages. Digging through the various configuration files it was obvious that there some things that needed changing.

The first alterations required included the '.spec' file located in the root directory of the uncompressed archive. The 'COPYRIGHT' tag has to be changed to become the 'LICENSE' tag, a 'cheat' to get around the versioning problem when building the RPM is to change the line containing '#Source: %{name}-%{version}.tar.bz2' to 'Source: %{name}-1.tar.bz2'. This is required due to the way in which the tarball is dealt with at build time.
####Start Quote from .spec file####
Summary: An easy to use but powerfull iptables stateful firewall
Name: firehol
Version: 1
Release: 0
#Version: 1.273
#Release: rh7up
#Copyright: GPL
License: GPL
Group: Applications/Internet
#Source: %{name}-%{version}.tar.bz2
Source: %{name}-1.tar.bz2
####End Quote from .spec file####

Another problem is that it's still looking for a particular file called 'check-iana.sh' in the 'buildrpm.sh' script. You can either manually create the file to or else delete all references of this file from all relevant build files.

Several of the checking/scanning mechanisms in the 'get-iana.sh' file need to be re-examined. The obvious problems include the address from which the file is extracted, the mechanism which is used to parse this particular file (a rough approximation is given below but it should be given further review as my work is a quick hack to get things working), and also a file which is supposed to be generated '/etc/firehol/RESERVED_IPS' but isn't (via 'get-iana.sh'. It may simply be a case at examining the file further and working on it). The required changes are outlined below. The lines which are commented out represent the original content. The lines which aren't represent the altered files.

####Start Quote from get-iana.sh file####

#wget -O - --proxy=off "${IPV4_ADDRESS_SPACE_URL}" |\
#        egrep "^[0-9]+/[0-9]+.*${IANA_RESERVED}"  |\
#        egrep -vi "${IANA_IGNORE}"                |\
#        cut -d ' ' -f 1                           |\

wget -O - --proxy=off "${IPV4_ADDRESS_SPACE_URL}"  |\
        egrep "^\ {1,}[0-9]+/[0-9]+.*"             |\
        egrep "(RESERVED|UNALLOCATED)"             |\
        egrep -vi "Multicast"                      |\
        sed 's/   //'                              |\
        cut -f1 -d ' '                             |\
####End Quote from get-iana.sh####

NOTE - the maintainer of the project has been contacted but has thus far not responded to any communication. The file involved is 'firehol-1.273.tar.bz2' downloaded from, http://en.sourceforge.jp/projects/sfnet_firehol/releases/ with the following MD5 checksum, 'cbbe1ba21cf44955827d5c906a55aa21'. For those who are lazy, I've uploaded updated files to:

- as usual thanks to all of the individuals and groups who purchase and use my goods and services

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Music Organisation From the Linux CLI

Over the last few days, I've been ripping music (using Windows Media Player) in locations where there has been no Internet access available. Previously, I had thought that if I navigated through the correct menu options I could get my music collection organised correctly. Apparently not. What I've found is that based on my recent experience Windows Media Player only seems to get the ID3 tag information but doesn't seem to alter the filenames and folders correctly.

These series of scripts attempts to rectify the problem by using this information to alter the ripped files. You then simply copy the files back into the music library for re-scanning by the program in question (Microsoft Windows Media Player or Apple iTunes are the one's you'll most likely encounter and the ones that I tested with.) They seem to work but more testing may be required.

########Start Quote########
ID3 Music Organiser Script

These series of scripts are used to organise a group of ripped MP3 files that have ID3 tags but not the correct file and folder names. It does so by calling a series of commands to rename files based on ID3 tag information and then attempts to move or rename files and folders based on artist or album. Using just 'master.sh' you can organise by album/artist but by using 'organise.sh' you can organise based on the more conventional artist/album system as used by Microsoft and Apple.

Either way, Windows Media Player should eventually figure out how to reorganise your files based on the information, files, and folders that are supplied (WMP only seems to get the ID3 tag information based on my recent experience which is why I built these scripts) by these scripts.

Obviously, you can run these scripts on an ad-hoc basis and/or you can also run it continuously with a scheduling program such as 'cron'. You also need the following utilities to be installed, id3, eyed3, and uuid-runtime.

As this is the very first version of the program (and I didn't have access to all test data  while I was cleaning this up it may be VERY buggy). Please test prior to deployment in a production environment.
########End Quote########

- as usual thanks to all of the individuals and groups who purchase and use my goods and services

Automated Audiobook Maker Script, Random Stuff, and More

- wanted to find a way to automated building of audiobooks. Built the following: https://sites.google.com/site/dtbnguyen/audiobook_maker-...